My second Meissa blouse has been a staple through the summer. I used a lovely cream lace from Tessuti and a crinkled cotton voile from the Fabric Store. I cut this out at the same time as my last version and made the exact same adjustments, taking the side seams in quite dramatically. All seams were sewn with french seams giving a nice clean and long lasting finish.
My main concern when planning and sewing this shirt was tailoring the collar as both my fabrics were unstructured and sheer. The collar pattern pieces are upper collar, under collar, collar stand and collar stand facing. I cut three upper collars, a top layer of lace, an underlining of cotton voile and an interfacing layer of cream silk organza, I treated these three layers as one. The under collar was cut in two layers, an outer layer of cotton voile and interfacing layer of silk organza. The collar stand and facing were both cut in outer fabric and silk organza. The two layers of silk organza hold he collar up and flat. A good press of the collar and stand kept all the layers lying reasonably flat.
For the plackets I used a bi elastic fusible interfacing in white. I first tested this on a scrap to see how it affected the crinkles and all looked good.
I finished the armholes with pre-made bias binding attached as a facing. The shirt was hemmed with a baby hem which works well with the lightweight fabric and curved edge.
I’ve worn this shirt extensivly throughout the summer ans will likely wear it under jumpers through the winter. I highly recomend making this pa