Simplicity 1615

simplicity 1615 1 In preparation for summer I need some light loose tops for hot sunny days. I never would have seen the potential in this pattern if it weren’t for Katy’s version. I’d picked up one metre of this beautiful floral silk during a Tessuti sale. The silk has the perfect drape for this pattern, it blouses out nicely when tucked into high waisted skirts. My measurements (44″: 34″: 44″) give me a Simplicity size 22 at the bust and 20 for the waist and hips. looking at the finished garment measurements and based on my previous experiences with Simplicity patterns I cut a size 18. Due to my relatively small piece of silk I removed 7 inches from the hem length of the pattern. simplicity 1615 3 A center front pleat helps add volume and shaping in the absence of darts. I made a muslin from a cheap cotton voile. The size 18 was good but I pinched out a 2 cm wedge from the neckline between the strap and center front so it would lie flat against my chest. The neckline and top of the back piece have just been turned under 1/4″ twice to finish. The side seams are french seamed as the silk is prone to fraying and I like a neat finish. simplicity 1615 2 If you sew this top I would recommend pining the straps on to check the length before sewing. As I had made a muslin I steamed ahead and sewed everything down before trying it on. This resulted in the armholes coming down to my waist and the front of the top covering very little. I had not considered the difference in stretch between the cotton voile used in the muslin and the bias cut silk. I did not feel up to ripping the straps off and was not sure what shape the silk would be in after such a procedure. I decided to tuck the excess 9cm under the back piece. I stitched these down by machine. Then tacked the ends down by hand to prevent them from shifting and sticking out. simplicity 1615 4 The top is finished with a baby hem following the instructions in the Colette hem guide. I’ve been completely converted to this hem finish for light weight fabrics as it does not alter the drape of the fabric. simplicity 1615 5 I had some sizable pieces of the silk leftover so decided to maintain a blog tradition and sew some knickers. For the first pair I traced a pattern from an old pair of french knickers adding seam allowances. The lingerie elastic is from Lincraft and the lace from Clear It in Melbourne. french knickers1 Surprisingly I still had enough leftover for a pair of Ohhh Lulu Grace Panties. I made a size extra large. The elastic and stretch mesh are both from Lincraft. grace1 I’ve also made a pair of Ohhh Lulu Lola Panties in an extra large from just the mesh fabric with a knit scrap lining the gusset. It was fun sewing this little set of three and I highly recommend Ohhh Lulu’s patterns. They’re a fast beginner friendly project that can use up a lot of pretty scraps. lola1

Advertisements

One thought on “Simplicity 1615

  1. Pingback: Simplicity 1615 v2 | Sew Stash

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s